December 05, 2010

What is Creativity? Part 2: "Extra Credit"

Like those artists who expressed their 2cents in answering the question, "what is creativity?" (below in Part 1), I myself have my own 2cents on the matter.  But before I go there, I stumbled upon an item that I want to provide for you as well, here on my journal.

The Art Institute of Vancouver in Vancouver, BC, Canada has an online test they provide for measuring how left-sided and right-sided your brain works.  This is just a test.  But it has helped me to understand better how I think and use my brain, both logically and creatively.

If you choose to follow this link I encourage you to click on
"About this Test", where you will find this next statement and more:  "...This test produces results unique to each individuals own left and right hemispheres. Many of the methods used here were pioneered by Dr. Roger Sperry's research on brain lateralization, for which he won a Nobel Prize in 1981..." 

And then click on the "Disclaimer", which provides the following information and more:  "The test is published for the sole purpose of intellectual stimulation, education and general knowledge...However, despite the first-rate information used to create this test, tests should not be considered [entirely] complete or accurate..."

Then enjoy taking the test and see if you can learn something new about yourself as I did.  The test 'measures' how you use both the left side and right side of your brain.  What I found helpful was the six thinking-type categories for each side, twelve in total.  All with explanations for you to evaluate.  Views on my own thinking which I had previously thought of as Left-side dominant,  I can now understand from perhaps a more clear picture divided between my 'left ways' and 'right ways'.  In sum, I understand for the first time in my life that I am actually a Right-side dominant individual.  Some of what I thought was left-sided thinking may actually be right-sided thinking.

I have included this 'extra credit' Link because the Art Institute of Vancouver has defined an answer to our question, "What is Creativity?"  I am simply adding their's to the growing list of 'answers'.  
They say, "Being creative or artistic doesn’t mean you know how to draw or play an instrument. Being creative is a way of thinking, a way of viewing the world. "

The quote above and the link to the test are both found on the Art Institute of Vancouver web page:     http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com/vancouver/left_right/rb_test.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment